Steps to Recovery

September 6, 2011

Dear Friend,

In an effort to help those in need of assistance we have put together a step by step process for recovery from storm Irene.

Please note if you still do not have power call your utility company.

We will get through this together.
Hurricane Irene
Steps to Recovery

Residents who have suffered damage or loss from Hurricane Irene should contact their insurance carrier(s), and register with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), to begin recovery.

Step ONE – Register with FEMA

    On August 27, 2011, President Obama issued a federal emergency declaration for the State of Connecticut, triggering the release of Federal funds to help individuals and communities respond to and recover from the impacts of Hurricane Irene.  Residents who suffered damage as a result of Hurricane Irene must register with FEMA, by phone or online, to access that aid.

Register with FEMA:

    To register by phone, residents can call: 1-800-621-FEMA (3362).  The TTY line for people with speech or hearing disabilities is 1-800-462-7585.  The line is open from 7 am to 10 pm, 7 days per week.

To register on-line, visit  Start the registration process and apply for assistance immediately by completing an online application.  Carefully follow the registration directions. 

Step TWO – File claim with Homeowners Insurance Carrier

    Residents who have suffered damage as a result of Hurricane Irene should report their claim to their insurance provider.  The following tips have been provided by the CT Department of Insurance.

    Reporting Your Claim:

    • Most insurance companies have a time requirement for filing a claim. The process will go faster if you can locate a copy of your policy and home inventory.
    • Call the company or visit a mobile claims center to start your claim. If you need help locating your company or agent, contact the Connecticut Insurance Department at 800-203-3447 or use our online contact options.
    • You will be asked to list all items destroyed, damaged or missing. If you do not have a home inventory, begin making a list of items going room by room from memory and include as much detail as possible.
    • If your car is damaged while in your garage/carport, it is covered by your automobile policy—not your homeowners policy.

Step THREE: File claim with Flood Insurance Carrier

    Flood damage is not covered in a typical homeowners or renter’s policy. If you have a separate flood policy, contact the company that wrote the additional policy to file your claim. After experiencing a flood, contact your agent or insurance company to file a claim. An adjuster should contact you within a few days of filing your claim. The following tips have been provided by the CT Department of Insurance.

    Separate damaged from undamaged property. Your adjuster will need evidence of the damage to your home and possessions to prepare your repair estimate.

    • Take photographs of all of the damaged property, including discarded objects, structural damage, and standing floodwater levels.
    • Make a list of damaged or lost items and include their date of purchase, value, and receipts, if possible.
    • Officials may require disposal of damaged items so, if possible, place flooded items outside of the home.

    Your adjuster will provide you a Proof of Loss form for your official claim for damages. You’ll need to file this claim with your insurance company within 60 days of the flood. This document substantiates the insurance claim and is required before the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) or insurance company can make payment.

    You’ll receive your claim payment after you and the insurer agree on the amount of damages and the insurer has your complete, accurate, and signed Proof of Loss form.