Hurricane Recovery

September 8, 2011

Dear Neighbor,

In an effort to help those in need of assistance we have put together a step by step process for recovery from storm Irene.

Please note if you still do not have power, it is important to contact your utility company.

Hurricane Irene Steps to Recovery for Residents
Residents who have suffered damage or loss from Hurricane Irene should contact their insurance carrier(s), and register with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), to begin recovery.

Step ONE – Register with FEMA
On August 27, 2011, President Obama issued a federal emergency declaration for the State of Connecticut, triggering the release of Federal funds to help individuals and communities respond to and recover from the impacts of Hurricane Irene.  Residents who suffered damage as a result of Hurricane Irene must register with FEMA, by phone or online, to access that aid.

Register with FEMA:
To register by phone, residents can call: 1-800-621-FEMA (3362).  The TTY line for people with speech or hearing disabilities is 1-800-462-7585.  The line is open from 7 am to 10 pm, 7 days per week.

To register on-line, visit  Start the registration process and apply for assistance immediately by completing an online application.  Carefully follow the registration directions. 

Step TWO – File claim with Homeowners Insurance Carrier
Residents who have suffered damage as a result of Hurricane Irene should report their claim to their insurance provider.  The following tips have been provided by the CT Department of Insurance.

Reporting Your Claim:

  • Most insurance companies have a time requirement for filing a claim. The process will go faster if you can locate a copy of your policy and home inventory.
  • Call the company or visit a mobile claims center to start your claim. If you need help locating your company or agent, contact the Connecticut Insurance Department at 800-203-3447 or use our online contact options.
  • You will be asked to list all items destroyed, damaged or missing. If you do not have a home inventory, begin making a list of items going room by room from memory and include as much detail as possible.
  • If your car is damaged while in your garage/carport, it is covered by your automobile policy—not your homeowners policy.

Step THREE: File claim with Flood Insurance Carrier
Flood damage is not covered in a typical homeowners or renter’s policy. If you have a separate flood policy, contact the company that wrote the additional policy to file your claim. After experiencing a flood, contact your agent or insurance company to file a claim. An adjuster should contact you within a few days of filing your claim. The following tips have been provided by the CT Department of Insurance.

Separate damaged from undamaged property. Your adjuster will need evidence of the damage to your home and possessions to prepare your repair estimate.

  • Take photographs of all of the damaged property, including discarded objects, structural damage, and standing floodwater levels.
  • Make a list of damaged or lost items and include their date of purchase, value, and receipts, if possible.
  • Officials may require disposal of damaged items so, if possible, place flooded items outside of the home.

Your adjuster will provide you a Proof of Loss form for your official claim for damages. You’ll need to file this claim with your insurance company within 60 days of the flood. This document substantiates the insurance claim and is required before the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) or insurance company can make payment.

You’ll receive your claim payment after you and the insurer agree on the amount of damages and the insurer has your complete, accurate, and signed Proof of Loss form.

Business Assistance after Hurricane Irene
Businesses are also eligible for financial assistance due to Hurricane Irene. Loans are available though FEMA, which is working through the Federal Small Business Administration and also through the state Department of Economic and Community Development (DECD).

Small Business Administration (SBA) – FEMA:
SBA Disaster Loans are the primary form of long-term recovery assistance from the Federal government. SBA provides low interest disaster loans to homeowners, renters, businesses of all sizes and private, non-profit organizations to repair or replace real estate, personal property, machinery and equipment, inventory and business assets that have been damaged in a declared disaster. SBA disaster loans make recovery possible for victims of Federally declared disasters. 

Go online and visit the SBA’s website for information and to file a loan application at, or call the SBA Customer Service Center at (800) 659-2955. 

State Department of Economic and Community Development (DECD):
Businesses negatively impacted by Hurricane Irene are eligible for assistance, including bridge financing and loans covering uninsured losses, through the Department of Economic and Community Development (DECD). 

Highlights of this assistance include:

  • Loans of up to $200,000 to companies for storm-related damage, including property, machinery and equipment, and working capital;
  • Loan guarantees of up to $200,000 will be provided to banks and other lenders to spur local lending to businesses impacted by the storm;
  • Grants will be available to businesses for assistance in disaster recovery, such as temporary help and training; and
  • Technical assistance, linking businesses to a wide array of state and federal resources.

Agricultural businesses are eligible for funding.
Click here for the application:  Application is MS Word    Application in PDF format
A team of DECD workers has been assembled to work with companies at business resource centers around the state. They will assist in indentifying financial and technical resources, as well as serve as business advocates with utility assistance, insurance companies, and federal agencies.

In addition DECD has established a Small Business Revolving Loan Program and works in conjunction with seven lending partners throughout the state. 

Information for all DECD services can be obtained by calling 1-860-270-8215 or by visiting