A Checklist to Help You and Your Neighbors Recover from Irene

September 8, 2011

I wanted to provide you with a checklist to help in the recovery from tropical storm Irene.

Step ONE – Register with FEMA
Residents who have suffered damage should contact their insurance carrier and register with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to begin recovery.

President Obama has issued a federal emergency declaration for the State of Connecticut, triggering the release of Federal funds to help individuals and communities. Residents who suffered damage must register with FEMA to access that aid.

  • To register by phone, call: 1-800-621-FEMA (3362).
  • The TTY line for people with speech or hearing disabilities is 1-800-462-7585.
  • The line is open from 7 am to 10 pm, 7 days per week.
  • To register on-line, visit www.disasterassistance.gov. Start the registration process and apply for
    assistance immediately by completing an online application.

Step TWO – File claim with Homeowners Insurance Carrier

  • Most insurance companies have a time requirement for filing a claim.
  • If you need help locating your company or agent, contact the Connecticut Insurance Department at 800-203-3447.
  • You will be asked to list all items destroyed, damaged or missing. Begin making a list of items going room by room from memory and include as much detail as possible.
  • If your car is damaged while in your garage/carport, it is covered by your automobile policy—not your homeowners policy.

Step THREE: File claim with Flood Insurance Carrier
Flood damage is not covered in a typical homeowners or renter’s policy. If you have a separate flood policy, contact the company that wrote the additional policy to file your claim. After experiencing a flood, contact your agent or insurance company to file a claim.

  • Separate damaged from undamaged property. Your adjuster will need evidence of the damage to your home and possessions to prepare your repair estimate.
  • Take photographs of all of the damaged property, including discarded objects, structural damage, and standing floodwater levels.
  • Make a list of damaged or lost items and include their date of purchase, value, and receipts, if possible.

Your adjuster will provide you a Proof of Loss form for your official claim for damages. You’ll need to file this claim with your insurance company within 60 days of the flooding. This document substantiates the insurance claim and is required before the insurance company can make payment. You’ll receive your claim payment after you and the insurer agree on the amount of damages and the insurer has your complete, accurate, and signed Proof of Loss form.

Attention Businesses: Businesses sustaining damage will be eligible for assistance, including loans of up to $200,000 for storm-related damage, including property, machinery and equipment and working capital. Information for all services can be accessed through www.DECD.org or by calling (860) 270-8215.

For the Unemployed: Disaster Unemployment Assistance (DUA) is available to residents, including self-employed individuals, who are unemployed as a direct result of damages caused by the storm. Residents who lost their jobs due to this disaster should file a claim with their local TeleBenefits line, which can be found in the blue pages of telephone directories, on the Department of Labor’s website at www.ct.gov/dol, or by dialing the state Infoline at 2-1-1. Under federal guidelines, the deadline for filing for DUA benefits is October 6, 2011.

I will continue to keep you posted on our post-Irene efforts, and I urge you to contact me with any comments or questions at [email protected].